Letrozole Tablets– Drug Letrozole, which is found in LITOMIR, belongs to a class of medicines known as aromatase inhibitors. Letrozole is used to treat breast cancer and infertility caused by anovulation. It works by lowering the body’s production of estrogen (natural female hormone). Some breast cancers that require estrogen to grow can be slowed or stopped by a decrease in estrogen. Furthermore, it can help with infertility by increasing the production of certain hormones that encourage the release of eggs from the ovaries.
Uses of Letrozole Tablets
- Letrozole tablet is commonly prescribed as a hormonal therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer.
- By reducing estrogen levels, the Letrozole tablet helps inhibit the growth of hormone-sensitive breast cancer cells.
- Letrozole tablet may be used off-label as a fertility medication for women who are having difficulty conceiving.
- Letrozole tablet stimulates ovulation by suppressing estrogen production, leading to the release of eggs and increasing the chances of pregnancy.
- Letrozole tablet can be used in women with PCOS who are trying to conceive. PCOS is a hormonal disorder characterized by enlarged ovaries with multiple small cysts and hormonal imbalances.
Precaution to use of Letrozole Tablets
Letrozole tablet should only be taken under the supervision of a doctor and physician who can assess your medical history, monitor your progress, and adjust the dosage as needed. Do not self-medicate or change the prescribed dose without consulting your doctor. Letrozole tablet is contraindicated during pregnancy as it may harm the developing fetus. It should not be used if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Inform your doctor about any pre-existing medical conditions you have, such as liver disease, kidney disease, osteoporosis, or a history of heart disease.
Direction to use of Letrozole Tablets
- Take the Letrozole tablet exactly as prescribed by your doctor
- Swallow the Letrozole tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or break the tablet, as it is formulated for controlled release.
- The duration of the Letrozole tablet treatment will depend on your specific condition.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Possible Side Effects of Letrozole Tablets
The most common side effects of this medication are hot flashes, weariness, increased perspiration, and an elevated level of cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia). Inform your doctor if any of these concern you or appear to be significant. Your doctor may advise you on how to avoid or decrease these risks.